Sourdough Burger Buns
Sourdough burger buns (Mezonos)
800g bread flour
100g active sourdough starter
340g apple juice (room temp)
2 eggs (room temperature)
- In a mixer fitted with a dough hook combine all the ingredients and mix for 4-6 minutes on med/high speed.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for 5-6 hours at room temperature or for 8-12 hours in the refrigerator*.
- Lightly flour your work surface and place the dough on the floured surface
- Divide dough into 10 pieces (for consistent size weigh each to approximately 140g each)
- Shape each piece into a ball and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Flatten each ball with the palm of your hand.
- Cover the shaped buns with a towel and place for a final rise in at room temp for 2-3 hours.
- 30 minutes before baking preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Before baking brush the buns with egg wash and sprinkle a little sesame seeds on top.
- Bake for 35-40 min.
*If your dough was in the refrigerator, remove it from refrigerator 2-3 hours before shaping to bring it to room temp.
**Store the buns in a plastic bag for 1-2 days at room temperature or freeze for up to 6 months.